Home Tips & Tricks How to Get Rid of Mold

How to Get Rid of Mold

Water damage mold is a natural substance that can occur on just about any surface where there tends to be a lot of moisture. Shower stalls are where you’ll most likely find it in your house. In large quantities, mold can be toxic and accumulate on wallpaper, under wallpaper, on drywall, inside walls, in your basement, under or in carpet, under the floor, just about anywhere that moisture tends to collect and accumulate. If you live in an especially hot and humid climate, mold will tend to grow and spread faster than those folks who live in a dry climate. Those who live in these hot and humid climates should run their air conditioner on a regular basis to keep dry air circulating throughout the house.

Not all water damage mold is toxic. You can have relatively harmless mold growing in your shower. Depending on what stage the old is in will determine whether it is likely to be toxic or not. Most likely, if mold has been untreated and left to grow for an extended length of time, it’s probably not going to make for a healthy environment. Some people develop mold allergy symptoms when exposed for long periods of time.

How to Get Rid of Mold

Water Damage Mold Can Develop in 24 to 48 Hours

It doesn’t take much for mold spores to start growing on any surface. These entire persistent little mold spores need is some water. Perhaps, a slow unseen drip underneath a cabinet, an unseen leak in the roof that leaks water through the inside of your wall, or a toilet overflowing just one time. All of these can set up the perfect environment in which water damage mold can grow and spread. Damage to your home or personal property can occur if water damage mold is allowed to grow and spread.

If you live in an extremely humid environment you will want to run your air conditioner as much as possible in the summer. Also, run your heater as much as possible in the winter. This will help to keep the air circulating and dry. Keeping indoor air as dry as possible will help to deter the growth of toxic any mold, including black mold.

What You Should Know About Water Damage Mold

Although mold may not be the most hideous disease known to mankind, it can cause a lot of problems for some people. If someone in your house has difficulty with asthma or allergies, then water damage mold may cause them some distress, even make them sick. Some people are even allergic to specific types of mold, like the typical black mold that can accumulate in your shower. Other known problems caused by mold being present in your home are headaches, more severe allergic reactions, as well as irritation to the eyes. Some folks have also experienced lung and breathing problems when water damage mold is present in the home.

If you see mold anywhere in or around your home, be sure to use caution when working around it. Wear protective clothing, eye protective goggles, mask, and gloves when removing or getting rid of mold on any surface. You never know what stage the mold might be in, or whether it is likely to be toxic black mold, or some relatively harmless variety. Be sure to have adequate ventilation when cleaning areas that contain mold and be cautious of mixing cleaning chemicals. Be sure to read warning and caution labels on any cleaning product.

Best Cleanup and Treatments for Water Damage Mold in Your Home

First, you need to determine if there is a problem with mold in your house. That may mean a simple visual inspection of your property. Take an afternoon and go for a detailed tour around your property looking for any mold. Another option would be to hire a professional who will most likely know exactly where to look for mold. Professionals have experience and know how to use certain tools which may be used to detect mold.

A professional may use an infrared camera which can look for water damage mold inside of walls, floors, and ceilings. This infrared technology also helps to locate and identify where mold is most likely to grow. Also useful is a moisture meter for measuring moisture and dampness on surfaces. A boroscope, which has a tiny camera on one end and can get into otherwise unreachable places, might also be used. Of course, a pro will also have the necessary equipment to test the air quality and swab surfaces to be tested later for the presence of mold spores. Most of the companies that handle clean up for water damage mold will likely offer a free inspection of your property.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By spartan69
Load More In Tips & Tricks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

5 Ways to Maintain a Swimming Pool

If you are lucky enough to have a swimming pool, it is also essential that you learn how t…